My folks recently returned from a mini-vacation to Las Vegas. I say mini-vacation since it was a work-related getaway for my dad. Anyways, they would be arriving home only a couple of days before their 34th wedding anniversary so I decided my ‘welcome home’ for them could also double as an anniversary gift. Here are some of my favorite ideas for welcoming home the weary travelers in your life.
- Wash their bed linens: nothing beats sleeping on your very own bed in fresh sheets!
- Re-stock the pantry: before going out of town, most people try to clean out the fridge so they don’t come home the smell of sour milk and produce. Re-stock with the essentials so they don’t have to run out to the store immediately.
- Do a load of laundry: make sure they have a fresh change of clothes and pajamas waiting for them in case they want to wait a day before unpacking.
- Have an extra toothbrush and toothpaste ready: if they return late, your traveler may just want to collapse in bed. Have the bedtime essentials ready so they don’t have to go rummaging through their suitcase.
- Have dinner taken care of. Put something in the crockpot early in the day so it’ll be ready for them to feast on when they return home.
- Make sure the bar has their favorites. Traveling is can be stressful! They might need a little help calming their nerves upon their return.
In my case, I picked out a couple of things from the list above and took the kids to the airport to surprise them. B painted the picture you see at the top and managed to hold it right-side up and open when we spotted them in the terminal.